A history and timeline.
What are these
The history of
has always been somewhat confusing, but hopefully I can help
Since 1976, when
Valley Railroad ceased to exist, a small 25-mile segment of former
1. The original
Museum" in Flemingville. (with the operating
switcher, 1970's and 80's)
A railroad history of the Owego area..
1834 - The Ithaca
& Owego railroad opens between..Ithaca and Owego!
1840 - The first
arrives in Owego, replacing the horses on the Ithaca & Owego.
1849 - The Second
to enter Owego arrives, the New York & Erie Railroad, which built
1870 - A third
in Owego, building the trackage currently operated by the
1878 - the Erie (current southern tier main) converts to standard gauge.
1881 - The
& Western mainline arrives, building its mainline across the
1895 - The Southern Central is formally merged into the Lehigh Valley system.
Owego railroads are now in the positions they would hold for the first
Erie mainline running east-west through Owego.
The Erie main and the DL&W main are both double-track mainlines.
It doesnt show clearly on the map, but all three railroads interchange
1956 - The
the Ithaca branch. the bridge over the Susquehanna is removed,
1960 - The Erie
and the DL&W
merge to form Erie Lackawanna.
1960's and 1970's
- the "Sayre
turn" becomes famous as the D&H and the LV operate a joint
1976 - April 1.
In Owego, former LV and EL trackage is now all Conrail.
1976 - Upon the
of Conrail, the D&H is given trackage rights over the
This leaves only two railroad routes in Owego, both operated by Conrail in 1976.
1. The former LV
from Owego north.
History of the
1971 - Father and
Gerry and Jim Mead buy the Flemingville depot with the intention
1971 - Brooklyn
#12, a 1918 Vulcan 0-4-0, arrives at the Tioga Transportation
1971 - 1975 - the Meads and a team of dedicated volunteers fully restore the Flemingville depot.
1975 - The Tioga Transportation Museum opens for business in the Flemingville Depot.
1976 - April 1 -
The LV running past the Flemingville depot, and the EL in Owego,
1976 - 1980 -
the line from Owego to Moravia.
1979 - The 0-4-0
at Flemingville is restored to operating condition, and the museum
1980 - Conrail
line (Owego - Harford Mills) to Tioga County.
1980 - D&H is
the designated operator of the branch by the TCIDA.
1983 - in 1983,
of the Flemingville museum is listed as the 0-4-0 steamer,
1984 - September
1. The first
diesel arrives for the excursion railroad at the Tioga Transportation
1984 - September
15 - The
Tioga Transportation museum in Flemingville starts up the
1986 - August 10,
RS1 locomotives arrive in Owego, lettered TTM, but probably
1987 - April 14,
Central Railroad begins Freight service in Owego, now operating
1987 - With the
freight service, the Tioga Central moves its base of operations
1988 - March,
arrives in Owego for the TC, former D&H bicentennial
1988 - RS1 No. 59, which operated with the Tioga Central only briefly, leaves Owego.
1988 - As RS1 No.
another RS1 arrives. former NYSW 204 arrives in Owego,
1991- The steam 0-4-0 operates for the last time in Flemingville.
1992 - Tioga
Central in Owego
is voted off the line by the Tioga County IDA, who owns the line.
1992 - May 1, the
Harford begins service, winning the bid to operate the freight portion
The O&H begins service in May 1992 with leased Lackawanna Valley MLW RS18 1801.
1992 - The Tioga
also formed, to operate the excurision/tourist/passenger line out
1993 - The first
locomotive arrives, GP9 number 151, painted in a EL-like scheme.
1993 - The TC collection sits idle in Whitney Point.
1994 - May - The
of the Tioga Central begins excursion service in
Ironically, the name "Tioga Central" fits
for both the Owego and Wellsboro locations! Because Owego is in
And, since we are on the subject, the name "Tioga" is an Indian name
to the Tioga River, which is now called
1995 or 1996 -
to pinpoint the exact date) The Tioga Scenic gets its own locomotive,
1997 - Brooklyn
#12, the 0-4-0 in Flemingville, is donated to the
1997 - OHRY 151 is sold and leaves Owego, heading back home to Canada.
1998 - Two MLW
in Owego, 1811 and 1850.
1998 - O&H paints 1811 from CP red into the current O&H black scheme.
1999 - Conrail
ends its 23
year reign when it its sold and split up between CSX and NS.
2007 - Over in
The Tioga Central (passenger/excursion railroad) and the
2008 - The Tioga
in Wellsboro begins its first season under its new ownership,
2008 - Sadly, The
first locomotive, (the unit that wore the "EL scheme"), the 151,
2008 - October,
that the Owego & Harford is going to create a new line based
2008 - December,
sells two of its locomotives, GE U23B 2302 and 2304.
2009 - January 5,
"sneak peek" of a Lehigh Railway locomotive hits
These two U23B's are members of the last order of U-boats built for
2009 - January 17
- The two Lehigh Railway units, 2302 and 2304, have been painted, and
2009 - January 21 - the units arrive in Sayre!
Today the LV and Erie stations still stand in Owego, but the DL&W station is gone.
the LV station is
in the O&H yard, the one used by the Tioga Central
The Erie station still stands just east of route 96 (North ave), south side of the Erie main.
and the DL&W
station is gone.The DL&W station was along the DL&W
So! to summarize:
with the Tioga Transportation Museum in Flemingville
The Tioga Central
and the Tioga Central in Wellsboro were essentially the same
used to be the Freight operator of the Wellsboro to Corning line,
The Owego & Harford and the Tioga Scenic in Owego were the same system, common owner, but completely unrelated to the Tioga Central of Owego and Wellsboro.
Tioga Scenic in
passenger excursion service in Owego in 2005.
The Owego & Harford started up in Owego in 1992, and also operated the Tioga Scenic excursion railroad until 2005.
They then started a second operation, the Luzerne & Susquehanna in the Wilkes Barre, PA area in 1994 (engine house in Pittston)
Then a third
shortline came about, the Meridian
And finally, the
and newest shortline in the O&H family, the Lehigh Railway,
- present, Owego, NY)
All the railroads
webpage are related to the O&H (common ownership)
The Tioga Central
O&H have never been related in an ownership sense.
I hope this all
Much more detail
locomotive is available in their individual sections